The Lost Trotting Parks Storyboard Archives

The Lost Trotting Parks Storyboard Archives

Friday, March 19, 2010

E.C. Jordan Engineering Plans for Rigby Park




Last week I drove to South Portland to walk Rigby Park. As Kathy DiPhilippo and I carefully stepped our way through the bog and Rigby Park ditch, we wondered where park patrons got off the train. We wondered where were the stables located, the grandstand -- the buildings of Rigby. Clark Thompson had told me that E.C. Jordan was the engineering firm that worked with the builder. The phone directory actually listed E.C. Jordan. I called and a health lab answered the phone. I then checked with the City of Westbrook and found out that E.C. Jordan had gone out of business 20 years ago. My mind went into random -- I started called engineering firms in the Portland area. My second call provided me with the correct lead. An engineer informed me that E.C. Jordan was bought out by an engineering firm 20 years ago. This firm was also bought out. This firm went out of business. One of the engineers at this company, Owen Haskell, took over the collection of E.C. Jordan paper. Haskell formed a Falmouth based engineering firm. He is now retired, however, the firm still retains his named, Owen Haskell, Inc. I called and spoke with Janna. Janna informed me that they did indeed have the E.C. Jordan archives and would take a look to see if there were any plans related to Rigby Park. On Wednesday of this week, I received an e-mail from Janna with three attachments. The three storyboards with this post are the E.C. Jordan plans for Rigby Park. I thank Owen Haskell, Inc. for sharing these plans through the Lost Trotting Parks Heritage Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment