The Lost Trotting Parks Storyboard Archives

The Lost Trotting Parks Storyboard Archives

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Lady Dillon Defeats Cashier on Tripp Pond -- From the Guy Kendall Collection


I first heard of harness racing on Tripp Pond when I interviewed Clayton Smith at his home in Yarmouth. Later that summer I interviewed Lionel Furland and Jim MacKay, lifelong residents of Poland. I spent several hours with Lionel and Jim. Both men in their 90's spoke of their younger years. Lionel's father was the farrier for Governor Hill. At the end of my visit they started talking about one of their favorite horses, Lady Dillon. It appeared that Lady Dillon was a local favorite and performed quite well on ice. In March I traveled to the University of Maine in Orono to visit the Special Collections Room at the Fogler Library. My purpose was to view and scan photos taken by Guy Kendall. I selected the book of photos from 1939 and as I turned the pages of the album, I came upon three pages of photographs on ice racing. And there in front of me was the program for ice racing on Tripp Pond. Named in the program was Lady Dillon. On the next page I found the photo of Lady Dillon defeating Cashier.

No comments:

Post a Comment