The Lost Trotting Parks Storyboard Archives

The Lost Trotting Parks Storyboard Archives

Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Thompson Homestead circa 1905 -- Arthur Herbert and Eldelia Noyes Thompson -- When horses were proudly displayed as part of the family portrait.

After World War II my mother and father, Keith and Doris Dexter Thompson, settled in Presque Isle, Maine. My Dad became one of the department managers at Maine Potato Growers. My sister Susan was born in 1946. I was born in '48.  However, in 1949, they moved to Limestone. Dad purchased a farm on the corner of the Bog Road and Sawyer Road in Limestone on the Caribou-Limestone town lines. My parents purchased the Daniel Getchell house on Main Street. From our picture window, we could look out and to the East see the farm buildings built by by grandfather and grandmother, Roy and Laila Thompson. The farmhouse and barn were built in the early 1930's. The storyboards below depict the farm home of my grandfather's parents, Arthur and Eldelia Noyes Thompson. These pictures were probably taken around 1905. At this time the horse still played a prominent role in the lives of the Thompson's. The family chose to pose for this photograph with their horses. My grandfather did farm with horses into the early 1930's. However by the time I came along the horses were gone. By the time I was five all I remember seeing were dairy cows and chickens. The horses was important to family life and work life. It is this idea that needs to be remembered! 

This photograph was scanned from the photographs of George and Elsie Thompson Hamilton.





Your comments are welcomed!

No comments:

Post a Comment