The Lost Trotting Parks Storyboard Archives

The Lost Trotting Parks Storyboard Archives

Monday, December 14, 2009

The Last Lost Trotting Park on Long Island, NY!



Jack Smith of Terryville, New York e-mailed me a few days ago. Jack told me of his mission to save the last lost trotting park on Long Island. If you have any information that would be helpful to Jack e-mail him at jsmithrs3@aol.com.



"Just like the state of Maine, New York and especially Long Island, where I am from, was the home to numerous trotting parks. On Long Island they were referred to as driving parks. My interest in all of this is the result of having a driving park still in existence in our community. As president of our local historical society, the Cumsewogue Historical Society, I have made it a mission to not only research the park, but also to have it preserved and saved from development. It is, to my knowledge, the last driving park left on Long Island. It is an amazing survivor on an island where aggressive growth and, at times, unbridled development are the norm.

The track is located in the hamlet of Terryville, where I live. Terryville is a couple of miles south of Port Jefferson, on Long Island's North Shore and Long Island Sound. The track was part of an eighty acre complex called the Comsewogue Training Stable and was owned and operated by Robert L. Davis. He was a well known trainer and conditioner of trotting horses on Long Island and was featured in an article published in The Horse Review in 1895.

My research is in the preliminary stages. So far I have discovered several newspaper articles describing races held at the track, as well as a couple of letters written in 1954 by a man who was familiar with the track during its heyday. A local historical memorabilia collector has an original ticket to the park from July 4, 1892. That was an amazing find! I have a scanned copy of the ticket. I am trying to find other sources who might have some information on this track and would like to find a photo or two. Local libraries do not have anything and neither did the Harness Racing Museum. But I am not discouraged. I will keep looking. I just know some info is out there - somewhere."

No comments:

Post a Comment