The Lost Trotting Parks Storyboard Archives

The Lost Trotting Parks Storyboard Archives

Monday, January 20, 2014

Pearl Brook Farm -- Lost Trotting Parks' Latest Research Project -- An Update

Often LTP research takes you to unexpected places. I had first learned about Pearl Brook Farm from Megan Pinette, the Director of the Belfast Historical Society and Museum. The 1907 Pearl Brook Farm Stallion Cards became a renewed motivation to discover more about this farm and its owner, Maitland B. Smith. Working with Megan I learned that no one had any photos of the farm. From here I decided to do a bit of research through My Ancestry. This research led me to the fact that Maitland wintered in Hartford, Connecticut and summered in Belfast, Maine. My Ancestry also led me to the Roberts family, the founders of Brooks, Maine. Last week I spoke with a Peter Roberts who knew a few facts that helped me to move in the research. Today I ended up called another descendant of Maitland Smith. This time I struck gold! Within the next two weeks I'll hopefully be able to gather the information and images that will help complete the story of Maitland Smith -- Entrepreneur -- grower of potatoes and tobacco and the manufacturer of the Pearl Brook Cigar! More to come! One interesting aspect -- The story handed down in the Smith/Roberts family was that Maitland may have been one of several owners of Dan Patch before the horse was purchased by Frank Savage.


No comments:

Post a Comment