The Lost Trotting Parks Storyboard Archives

The Lost Trotting Parks Storyboard Archives

Monday, August 23, 2010

A Few Moments with Greg Wilkinson

Greg Wilkinson

Sunday night when I returned to the track to remove the Nelson and Lost Trotting Parks Banners, Greg Wilkinson was sitting by the portable stage test his sound equipment. We spoke for a few moments and then he helped me move the banners to a small shed.

This morning Greg came to see me in the Craft Barn. I call my space, The Lost Trotting Parks History Booth!

I have know Greg for about a year now. Greg has worked the fair circuit for more than forty years. He started back in 1961 working for his uncle Ernie Cobb. Greg timed races and posted photo finish pictures. As he reminisced he described the use of the strip camera that would be locked on the finish line and set at the speed of the horses. The camera would record from the nose back to determine placements and time. Greg also helped setting up sound equipment. His uncle's company was known as Audio Service Company. However, the real name was Royal Amusements. He bought the company from his uncle in 1982.

Greg's most eventful moment was timing the race by Mountain Skipper owned by Arthur Nason at the Fryeburg Fair. At the time the result was the state track record for a timed race.

Greg has enjoyed his work at Maine fairs. The fairs are great and so are the people. He considers the Gorham Raceway as Maine's most beautiful track.

As I do my Lost Trotting Park research Greg has helped me immensely by offering images for use in the Lost Trotting Parks storyboard. Over the years, Greg has collected fair and trotting park memorabilia. I thank him for sharing his collection with me so that my work can bring the images of the old parks to the people of Maine. Greg truly believes that it is important for Maine people to see the memorabilia associated with Maine's agricultural fairs and trotting parks. Readers of the Lost Trotting Parks Blog are fortunate that Greg has kindly shared with us the images of his collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment